General Characteristics of Hastelloy C™Hastelloy C is an alloy composed of nickel, molybdenum, chromium and iron, Hastelloy™ Alloy-C maintains its outstanding properties in extreme heat, holding its strength and resisting oxidation. Hastelloy C is also resists chlorine and compounds with chlorine, as well as strong oxidizing acids, acid mixes and salts. One of the most corrosion-resistant alloys, it’s exceptional in high-stress applications and in environments prone to repeated thermal shock.
Chemical Composition of Hastelloy C™
- Carbon 0.15 max
- Tungsten 3.75-5.25
- Iron 4.5-7.0
- Chromium 15.5-17.5
- Molybdenum 16.0-18.0
- Vanadium 0.20-0.40
- Manganese 1.0 max
- Silicon 1.0 max
- Phosphorus 0.04 max
- Sulfur 0.03 max
- Nickel remainder
Heat Treatment of Hastelloy C™
- Anneal: Heat at 2235=20 deg F for a length of time dedicated by the mass and cross section. Air cool generally to 1 to 2 hours.
- Age hardening after annealing:
- Hold at 1575°-1600°F (857°-871°C) for 8-10 hours
- Air-cool to Rockwell C 35-40
- Hold castings for 16 hours at aging temperature to achieve hardness and high yield strength (not required or suggested to resist corrosion on for strength at high temperatures).
Applications of Hastelloy C™
- Combustion chambers
- Heat-treating equipment
- Collector rings, combustion chambers and exhaust stacks for high-heat applications in for conventional aircraft and jets
- Pipe connections, pumps and valves for oil refinery, chemical and petrochemical applications
Machinability of Hastelloy C™
- Can be machined at low cutting speeds
- Use sintered carbide cutting tools and grind to 6-7 degree side clearance and 10-15 degree side rake angle for facing or turning operations
- Use short drill and grind with minimum clearance to clear the work – generally about 140 degrees total – when drilling
- Use sulfur-based oil coolant when drilling, or when turning, facing, or boring at higher speeds
Workability of Hastelloy C™
- Preheat to temperatures to 2200°-2250° F (1204°-1232°C)
- Forge with hot working procedures:
To Send a Request for Quote, please Click Here, or call 1.973.276.5000 or fax 1.973.276.5050.