Forged Aluminum Alloys
Aluminum is best known for its light weight characteristics. When it is cold worked, the material strengthens by double. It does not oxidize quickly in air due to its microscopic oxide coating on the surface. Aluminum is the most widely used metal in industry due to its light weight, malleability and excellent corrosion resistance. It also exhibits a good strength-to-weight ratio and is extremely durable. Most aluminum products are manufactured using aluminum alloys, which have varying degrees of hardness based on the alloy composition. Pure aluminum is used when corrosion resistance is more critical than strength in the end product.
Advantages of Using Aluminum Alloys for Forgings
Forged aluminum products are used in a wide range of industries, including the aircraft, aerospace, automotive, architectural, appliance, military and defense, marine, petrochemical and process equipment industries. Products manufactured using aluminum include those that require:
- High strength-to-weight ratio, such as airframes, automotive frames and panels, wheels
- Corrosion resistance, such as fasteners, structural components and frames for construction and decorative architectural elements, process equipment and marine equipment
- Wear resistance and durability, such as process equipment, fasteners and certain motor components.
All Metals & Forge Group maintains a full inventory of aluminum alloys including 1100, 2014, 2024, 2219, 5083, 5086, 6061, 6063, 7049, 7050, 7075, 7079, 7175 and 7475 for use in our open die forgings, including seamless rolled rings, discs, hubs, blocks, shafts, flanges and other forged shapes that can be machined into finished parts. Custom chemistry material can be melted to your non-standard alloy specifications to meet the needs of your application.
Our capabilities include prototypes or one-offs, small runs, full production quantities and just-in-time inventory supply for long term contracts. Some of the products we forge and processes we use for aluminum forgings include:
- Flat bar blocks up to 60″ width and 10,000 lbs.
- Cylinders and sleeves up to 72″ maximum O.D. and 96″ maximum length
- Discs and hubs up to 80″ diameter and 15,000 lbs.
- Rolled, hand forged or mandrel forged rings up to 80″ maximum O.D. and 65″ maximum length
- Rounds, shafts and step shafts up to 220″ maximum length and 10,000 lbs.
- Forged-in steps or contours to reduce finish machining time and material waste
- Quenching and tempering, normalizing, or annealing of forgings.
We offer value-added services, including rough machining, heat treating, cutting, machining, rolling and welding to ensure that your finished product is delivered to you ready for finish machining. All forgings are rough machined to your forging print and include material test reports (MTRs), reports on mechanical and physical properties, and ultrasonic, X-ray and non-destructive testing (NDT) reports as ordered or specified.
All Metals & Forge Group is ISO 9001:2008 and AS 9100:2009 Rev. C certified and provides 100% inspection and reporting on each forging delivered to its customers so you can be assured that 100% of your parts are manufactured and tested to the highest quality standards.
All Metals & Forge Group provides more information about Aluminum.